January 21, 2010

Emilisse Royal Imperial Stout


When I heard that I could among the first people in the country (!) to taste a Dutch beer that was recently imported in to Philly, I knew it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Forget that I could tell I was getting sick and should probably stay home to get better. Some things are worth getting sick for.

The Emilisse Royal Imperial Stout turns out to be one of them. It's a big, roasty, toasty stout imported by 12 Percent Imports. It pours a deep, dark brown, and looks thick and creamy in the glass. The aroma is of coffee, chocolate, roasty malts. Like the last beer I wrote about, this is a strong one - 11% ABV - that hides its alcohol well. Chocolate, coffee, and molasses are the predominant tastes.

I like that this is a big beer that doesn't necessarily taste like a big beer. It's almost deceiving that the alcohol is hidden as well as it is. But as the saying goes - caveat emptor. Buyer beware. Always good to ask the question about what you're drinking so you don't pay the price the next day.

My understanding is that there will only be 10 kegs of this imported to the US. So it's definitely going to be hard to find. If you see it, you should grab one. And not just for the bragging rights.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Great article. My uncle posted this link on my face book because I have a blog and just did a review on a local breweries latest venture into ancient brews.

    http://goknow.blogspot.com/

    Thanks for sharing your beer adventures and I hope you like mine as well.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen,
    Great blog! And I'd also heard about the ancient brews. Some good stuff going on!

    Glad you liked my blog and this post. It's a lot of fun to write and gives me a good excuse to always be trying something new.

    Helene

    ReplyDelete