December 30, 2009

I want.... a porter?

It's been pretty damn cold here in Philly the past couple of days. On top of that, I'm nursing a nice cold. I stayed home last night for the first time in over 2 weeks and it looks like I'll be staying in tonight, too. That's all fine, because tomorrow is New Year's Eve, and I don't want to sit in by myself then!

Beer is never far from my thoughts, so even as I sit on my sofa, coughing and chugging all different kinds of cold medicines, I can't help but think about what I'd be drinking if I were going out. I find my thoughts turning towards stouts and porters, which surprises me. I was never one of those people who paired what I was drinking with what I was eating, except on rare occasions. For the most part, I drank what I liked. I guess that's why I'm surprised I'm reacting to something (weather) other than just my personal preferences. Maybe my palate is maturing?

Anyway, since I've had but a few of these types of beers, I'm asking you for some of your favorites and hopefully when I'll all better tomorrow (power of positive thinking) I'll be able to add a few new beers to my favorites list.

If you had to name one or two of your favorite stouts or porters, or even seasonal beers, what would they be?

Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I was surprised how amazing Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter was the only time I've tried it.

    Founder's Breakfast Stout is really good as well, and Sly Fox's O'Reilly Stout isn't too bad. Still meaning to try Victory Storm King but I haven't had a chance.

    I'm glad to see you venturing from your IPAs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations. I've had the Founder's and I really like it. I need to try the Sly Fox. There are so many out there, I'm excited to try them over the next couple of months. Don't really see them replacing IPAs as my favorite type of beer, but am hopeful I'll find a few new faves to add.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stouts and Porters aren't my usual pick either, so can't offer a favorite. But I saw that Flying Fish's Exit 1 Oyster Stout is 1 of 18 on tap at Monks, see http://bit.ly/8M06Oj You could check out a couple at once!

    I have been hoping to try Left Hand Brewery's Fade to Black, which they have too. I usually like Left Hand's specialty beers..and I've visited their brewery while working in Longmont, CO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave - I've actually had the Exit 1 and it is tasty! I really loved it. But it seems as though I'll have to get myself over to Monk's and try some of these others.
    What did you think of Left Hand's brewery? I like a lot of their beers. You just reminded me that I have a 1/2 a case of their sampler waiting for me to drink it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice brewery, and a great little bar area. I always enjoyed their beer in CO, and have been finding them localy a little over a year. I'm probably a little biased from liking the Longmont, CO area. I really like the Haystack Wheat and JuJu Ginger in the summer.

    I'm having a Fade to Black now, their new Import Stout that replaced their winter seasonal. Very nice rich flavor, but not overly strong. Have to see if I can find it in NJ, I only got 2 singles at Foodery last week.

    Have you had their Warrior IPA? They use only hops grown in Colorado. I tried it the other day, great balance of hops and flavor. It's only in 22oz bottles and kegs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had the JuJu Ginger; like you said, great beer to enjoy in the summer.
    I haven't had the Warrior IPA or Fade to Black. Thanks for giving me two new ones to check out! I live not far from the Foodery and Hawthorne's - sounds like it's time to make a trip to see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete