December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

Tonight is one of my most favorite nights of the year. I love the ending of one year and the beginning of a new one. It's so freeing. I'm not Catholic, and I've never gone to confession, but I imagine this is what absolution feels like - a chance to leave behind bad decisions, bad judgments and bad habits and start over with a clean slate.

2009 was a momentous year for many reasons. I quit a job, actually a career, that wasn't fulfilling to me to pursue something I've always wanted to do (writing). I became officially divorced. I moved. I got a new car. I made new friends and deepened relationships with old ones. I ran a 1/2 marathon. I went to Paris in the springtime. I didn't work out as much as I should have. I let go of things and people I really didn't want to let go of. I learned how to be honest about my feelings and to communicate them without hurting others (most of the time). I learned how to listen better. I started this blog. I followed through on commitments, even when I didn't want to. I did some things that scared me and felt stronger for having done them. Without overstating it, I started moving confidently in the direction of my dreams.

If I had to weigh the good and bad of the past year, the scale would definitely tip towards the good. And that's the best I can ask for in any year.

Here's hoping your scaled tipped to the good, too. And if it didn't, don't worry. Tonight is your chance to start all over again. Have a very happy, healthy, and prosperous 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment