July 24, 2009

A lovable (Elysian) loser

I've loved some losers that embarrass me when I think about them to this day (my first boyfriend is a good example). But there's nothing embarrassing about loving the Elysian Loser Pale Ale, brewed by Elysian Brewery in Seattle, WA. I've been lucky enough to have enjoyed this beer at a few bars in Philly, although I believe I've heard it's a limited edition brewed to celebrate Sub Pop Records 20th anniversary.

The Loser is a bit darker than most pale ales - a coppery/reddish color. The taste is good, and drinkable, but it's not overly exciting. (I heard a woman who was drinking one say that it was the most unexciting good beer she's ever had.) And that's the thing - it's not going to make you exclaim how great it is, but you're going to find yourself drinking more than one and liking it. There's a good balance between the hops and malt, with the hops providing a touch of bitterness and the malt taste coming through as caramely (is that a word?) and bready. Alcohol is 6.5%, making this a bit of a stronger pale ale.

You might want to run from some of the losers you see sitting around you, but if you see this one, invite him over. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment