Let me start off by saying I had a lot of great beer in 2012. A lot of it. But since I don't feel prepared to write about all of my favorites, instead I'll write about my favorite beer moments from throughout the year.
1) Not being hungover on New Years Day. Okay, so technically this is kind of like the absence of beer, but as someone who has spent many a New Years Day feeling hungover, it was really refreshing to wake up feeling great. I credit friends of mine for getting married on New Years Eve, and for not having a good beer selection at the reception. Thanks also to John for being a dancer and keeping me on the dance floor most of the night.
2) One of the rites of passage every February is the release of Pliny the Younger. I've had it the past 2 years, but this year I got to have it with John who has never had it before. It was nice to share the experience with him, since I know he had tried to get it in the past but wasn't able to.
3) Having Pliny the Younger (on a separate night than the one mentioned above) as well as Hopslam
and Nugget Nectar
. Talk about a good night of drinking!
|At Closed For Business (SC)|
4) In April, John and I went on a road trip. We drove as far south as Charleston, SC, and along the way we made many stops that included great beers. The Churchkey
in DC is an amazing beer bar that I can't wait to get to again. We also stopped at the bar in Charlottesville where the Dave Matthews Band got its start. Afterward, we headed to Asheville -- which anyone who knows anything about beer will know it's a beer city. And finally on to Charleston, where we had lots of delicious food and some great local beers. It was an unforgettable trip, and proved that we can travel very well together -- even when driving for hours at a stretch.
|Beer Scene Awards at WCL|
5) In May, Philly Beer Scene
had their first annual Philly Beer Scene Awards. It was a red carpet event held at World Cafe Live
and one fun night. I can't wait for it to happen again this year!
|Me and the HOG during Beer Week!|
6) Philly Beer Week
. Enough said.
7) I celebrated a big birthday this past summer. We chose to have a party at City Tap House
, and couldn't have picked a better spot. Huge space, beautiful outdoor seating, so much great beer! Best of all, Lee Marren of Stone Brewing
provided a keg of Ruination 10th Anniversary as part of the celebration, and Andy, City Tap House manager, opened a magnum of Blue Chimay (!) so that everyone could toast a birthday cheers. Now that's turning 40 in style!
8) The premiere of "Beeradelphia -- The City of Brewery Love
." This event was right up there with the Philly Beer Scene Awards. A fun night of beer people getting together to watch a great movie was made even better by all the familiar faces on the screen (including a few unexpected spottings of my own!). I wonder if everyone claps, whistles, and cheers at Hollywood viewing parties when they see someone they know? Regardless, I'm sure we had them beat with all the brews being served that night.
|At Bear Republic|
9) In October John and I went to San Francisco for 8 days. It was a wonderful trip that included lots of wine and beer. We had a memorable night at Russian River,
where a $15 beer flight allowed us to sample EVERY beer they had on draft! We also went to Bear Republic, and had a fun afternoon trying out some of the beers we can't get here. But the best night was at Lagunitas
, where we were able to crash a private event after we told the guys who worked there that we were visiting from Philly and wouldn't be able to come back another night. As always, the saying "beer people are good people" proves true.
|Our flight at Russian River|
10) And finally -- the Stone Epic vertical tasting at City Tap House. This one just took place a couple of weeks ago and it was truly epic! We tasted all of the Stone Epics, except for the '02. Can you even imagine? As if that wasn't enough, each one was paired with a perfect food accompaniment.
So there you go. My best beer moments of the last year. What were yours?