August 11, 2009

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA

Ah, finally getting back to my true love - the IPA. Last night I was lucky enough to try the wonderful Stone Cali-Belgique IPA while at Tria. It was as good as I could have hoped. The Stone Brewing Co bills the Cali-Belgique as the "identical twin to Stone IPA that was raised in a Belgian culture". This is a fitting description, as it seems the main difference is the addition of a Belgian yeast strain.

The pour is a pale amber. (One of these days I'm going to remember to take my camera out with me everytime I'm going for a drink! You really have to see some of these beers to appreciate them. I take that back. You really have to taste these beers to appreciate them!) The smell is similar to the Stone IPA - hoppy, floral. The addition of the yeast gives this a "breadier" (I was trying to stay away from the word "yeast" again) smell, but the fruity aromas are definitely there. There's a bitterness to the taste, and as we know, that's what I like. ABV isn't too bad - 6.9%. For something this tasty, I'll take it!

The Cali-Belgique comes in a 22 oz bottle, and from the best I can determine that bottle has close to 400 calories. I'm trying to figure out if this is right, so will update if necessary. I had this on draft, so at best I had 16 oz. Still - remember - everything in moderation. I wouldn't pass this beer up just because of it's caloric content. Instead, I'd go for a nice long run and not think twice about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment