October 18, 2010

Red October

It's October and - for the past few years, at least - that means one thing here in Philly: The Phillies are looking to make it to the World Series.

Now, I'm not going to lie. I'm not the biggest sports fan out there. I don't know all the stats, or histories, or even - at times - the names of the players on the team. To be honest, I sometimes forget who we just beat in the NLDS (without looking, right now I know it's the Reds. Ask me tomorrow and I may forget again). But that doesn't mean that I don't love watching the games. I really, really do. Especially out at bars with all the other fans. I even have some key phrases I like to shout at the TV as I'm watching the games to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about: "Wait for your pitch!" "Shake it off!" "Good eye! Good eye!" (Okay, I'm not so sure about that last one, but I know I sometimes say it when a player gets walked.)

The point is this, it's a great time of year. And not just because of baseball. The weather is cooler. The leaves are really starting to put on their show. Maybe best of all - the beers are terrific. I'll always love my IPAs, but I love the heartier beers (and foods) that are making their way on to local menus.

So even if your team isn't still in the hunt, get out there and enjoy yourselves.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment