March 19, 2010

Port Brewing Wipeout IPA


If someone were to ask me my definition of heaven, right now I'd say I'm living it. It's an absolutely gorgeous Friday afternoon. I'm watching the basketball games on TV (even though I'm not doing quite as well in my pool as I would like) and I'm going to write about an incredible beer I had the other night. Plus, I have plans tonight that include a pedicure and then meeting the head brewer of one of my favorite breweries, Ballast Point. Do Fridays get better than this??

That all being said, let's get to the focus of this post - the Port Brewing Wipeout IPA. For those of you living in the Philly area, you've probably heard that Dave Ansill is now the executive chef at Ladder 15. If that weren't enough to make you run right over there, they also just relaunched their beer menu and have some incredible craft brews both on tap and by the bottle. It was at the launch party of this new menu that I got to try the Wipeout.

Wipeout IPA is everything that I love in an IPA. The pour is a golden orange. The smell is perfect with the hops (citrusy, piney) coming through strongest and some slightly sweet malts in the background. The taste is wonderful! It starts off a little bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. It's a great balance between the hoppy tastes (so, so good) and malt, making it very drinkable. The relatively low - 7% ABV - adds to the drinkability. I think this is a good IPA for someone who is wary of extreme bitterness to try (although one guy I was talking to that tasted it found it to be too hoppy. I should point out that his choice of beer that night was a Corona so maybe he's not the best person to use as a point of reference. In his defense - in case he reads this! - I got him to try a Left Hand Polestar Pilsner and he loved it.).

While not exactly a grail beer like Pliny the Younger was, this is a beer I've been excited to try and it didn't disappoint. Definitely looking forward to lots more of it!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Philly Beer Girl,

    Just started looking at your beer posts and your comments are right on the mark for me - I've been a craft beer fan since I moved to California in 1997 (and, sadly, left there in 2002). But wanted to give you a heads up on a small brewery in San Diego - sure you've heard of it, but didn't see it on any of your posts - called "Alpine." They make some of the most incredible beers on the planet. Like you, one of my favorite beers is the "Sculpin." My favorite is Pliny the Elder, then Blind Pig, then one from Alpine called "Nelson." Sculpin is the number four - this gives you and idea of my tastes. But if you haven't had them, please try the Alpine beers - Nelson, Duet, and a DIPA called "Pure Hoppiness" which is very similar to Pliny the Younger.

    So, as I said, sure you know the Alpine beers, but wanted to tip you off to them if you don't. The "Nelson" is one of my favorite beers of all time - it is made from New Zealand "Nelson Sauvin" hops with about 18% rye. Very similar to the Founder's "Red's Rye PA" but much more hoppy, bitter, and just better by 10 points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard,
    Thanks for the heads up on the Alpine beers. I actually haven't heard of them, nor have I had any. Seems we have similar tastes in beer. I had Sculpin last night (I've had it several times before) and met the head brewer. Ballast Point can do no wrong in my mind. Same thing with Russian River - Elder, Younger, Blind Pig - they're all awesome! I'm not a big fan of sours, but Consecration, Temptation are great, too.
    Love the Founders Red's Rye, so it sounds like I need to try the Nelson. Going to see what I can find about their availability in Philly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely try them - I order them from a guy in San Diego, but don't think he can ship to Pennsylvania - sadly! And I sort of mis-spoke - the "Pure Hoppiness" is technically a single IPA but it tastes like a double to me - their double is called "Exponential Hoppiness" and is similar to the Russian River "Pliny the Younger." PtY has less malt and more hops - and is one of the best beers ever! Like Blind Pig on steroids with the Pliny the Elder aromas... and, I think some beers that call themselves "double IPA's" should be "triple IPA's." But that's just me who is a complete hop head and don't like too much malt or sweetness in my brews. Like the infamous and much hooplaed (is that a word?) "Dreadnaught IPA." It is OK, but way too malty (and I realize I'm committing sacrilege for some by saying this); same with the Avery DuganA. To me, the definition of an IPA is hops, hops, and more hops - which is why the RRBC, Ballast Point, and Alpine beers are soooo good.

    In any event, just wanted to wish you good luck in finding some Alpine - if it weren't illegal here, I would ship you a Nelson - I'm always giving them out to the point that I don't have any left for me - but then, that's one of the glories of great beer - it's no fun unless you share it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big IPA person, but I really liked the wipeout. My review and yours were pretty much side by side.

    - Vic

    ReplyDelete